Phīla Engaged Giving seeks a full-time Client Associate to join our growing team. Approximately 80% of the Associate’s time is spent managing a portfolio of clients in partnership with our Advisory team. The Associate plays a key role in supporting philanthropic clients by providing general project management support, broad issue area research, the creation of written materials, and the general administration required to make for seamless client engagements. Approximately 20% of the Associate’s time is spent on general administrative support for the firm.This position presents an exciting opportunity for an early career candidate who is interested in the field of philanthropy and advising. The most successful candidate will have strong verbal and written communication skills and possess the ability to complete complex tasks and projects with accuracy and composure. They are able to appreciate our firm’s culture of high-touch service, continuous learning, joy, and humor. This position is well suited for a dynamic self-starter who possesses a desire to learn and contribute to the field of philanthropy and social change.
About Phīla Engaged Giving
Phīla is a Black and woman-owned philanthropic advisory firm that works with individuals and families, family offices, estates, and charitable entities interested in leaving a philanthropic legacy. Our values-driven, strategic charitable guidance brings about transformative solutions for ultra-high net wealth families and their offices. We offer comprehensive advisory services– philanthropic vehicle selection, governance strategy development, operational support, family dynamics support, donor collaboration, training for family and staff, sourcing of charitable beneficiaries, grants management, measurement and evaluation of impact. Our mission is to cultivate informed, active, and joyful givers who are equipped with the tools and concepts to become meaningful partners to organizations and movements that are affecting social change. At the core of our mission is transformation–both within the philanthropic sector and within the families and organizations we serve. Everyday we work toward a world where philanthropy is a life-giving, equity-centered practice that releases wealth to the people and communities who need it most.
Client Services Responsibilities (80%)
The Client Associate supports our team of Philanthropic Advisors in providing thought partnership and hands-on support to a portfolio of ultra high net wealth (UHNW) donor clients. Responsibilities include:
● Support advisors in mapping out a concrete, actionable project plan for strategies and deliverables
● Work closely with multiple client teams to implement philanthropic strategies and projects
● Develop clear and compelling materials for client and business development purposes, including correspondence, presentations, reports and summaries
● Serve as the point person on moving action steps forward, providing reminders to Phīla Advisors and clients, when needed
● Produce meeting agendas and take comprehensive notes during meetings to ensure strategies and ideas are captured and can move forward
● Conduct research, landscape scans and analysis of issues, grantmaking strategies, and organizations
● Seamlessly blend into the culture and workstyle of the client, building trust and working partnerships with a variety of stakeholders
● Use all available Phīla resources—expertise, experience, templates, tools, etc.—to seamlessly and efficiently advance project plans
● Contribute to Phīla’s efforts to fight systemic racism and bias through client services
Direct project support varies by client. It can include, but is not limited to:
● Assist with governance models, dashboards, and trainings to implement/enhance metrics management
● Producing visually appealing and readable reports summarizing assessment findings, recommendations, and strategies
● Assist in creating giving portfolios and performing due-diligence on non-profit grantees
● Writing and editing collateral including but not limited to custom proposals and stewardship reports
General Administration (20%)
● Manage schedules, including meetings with clients, contractors, and other external stakeholders as well as events, professional travel and conferences, and outside professional commitments
● Serve as business development thought-partner working closely with the team to implement growth strategies and marketing plans, develop presentations, reference materials, and other outreach documents as needed
● Maintain sensitive firm and client materials for archival use
We’re looking for someone who…
● Is an adept project manager capable of leading multiple work streams toward deadlines and juggling changing priorities
● Has keen analytical skills that allows for accurate assessments of quantitative and qualitative data
● Believes in a client-centric approach, seeking to understand each client’s values, objectives, and expectations
● Is a strong communicator, able to convey ideas in a clear, compelling, and concise manner, verbally, and most importantly, in writing
● Is an empathetic communicator, able to align your style to the sensibilities and language of the target audience
● Has a commitment to accuracy and a keen eye for details
● Is a natural self-starter with ability to work autonomously and with teams in a virtual setting
● Is skilled in using Microsoft Office (especially Excel) and G-Suite programs
● Has the ability to build strong relationships that elicit trust
● Is generally positive, optimistic and can adapt to an ever-changing environment
● Values learning and has a strong sense of curiosity about people and the world
Phīla Giving is a small, intimate environment where shared values are very important. The following personal attributes are crucial to being successful at our firm:
● You should have a high EQ. We seek a thoughtful, open-minded listener with high emotional intelligence and an ability to “read the room”.
● You should be collaborative yet independent. We want to work with someone who is collaborative and has experience flexibly supporting and leading teams, while also being able to work independently, being resourceful and accountable.
● You should have a high degree of integrity. It is crucially important that any new team member can build and maintain trust—internally with colleagues and externally with partners and clients.
Education and Experience
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● A tleast three years experience in the social sector (philanthropic, nonprofit, or impact investing fields).
This role is based in Seattle, WA, and while it is a fully remote opportunity, it will require occasional in-person client meetings and in-office work from our Seattle office. To facilitate work-from-home, Phīla provides a $250 home office set-up stipend after 3 months of employment.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week, position with a base salary of $70-80,000 per year. We have a generous paid time off (PTO) schedule which includes company holidays (11), vacation (10),personal days (6), parental leave, and winter and summer annual office closure(last week of August and week between Christmas and the New Year) . We also offer an employee healthcare plan covering 75% of premiums and an employer contribution to a Simple IRA retirement plan after 3 months of employment. Other benefits include employer-paid professional development opportunities, and a work from home stipend.
Bachelor’s degree preferred, and at least three years experience in the social sector (philanthropic, nonprofit, or impact investing fields).
This is a predominately remote role with weekly in-person meetings in Seattle, WA.